Saturday, March 18, 2006

Clueless

I find it funny that I never question somethin until I'm asked to explain it. Today I had a very interesting (prolly only to me) about arabic nicknames. It just confused the hell outa my friend but in the end he surprisingly got it.


so today's victim is : Mohammed
(Shaheen is busy)


Clueless: So why did you call him Mhamad isn't his name Mohammed?

Jan6a: Yeah in Arabic its pronounced Mhamad, and Hamood is short for that.

Clueless: What?? But that sounds nothing like the English or Arabic version!!

Jan6a: Hmm it doesn't? 'Mhamad' 'Hamood' ? Well I guess its like the name Alexandra, in Russia 'Sacha' would be her nickname. Know whar am sayin?

Clueless: Aha Aha. So he has 3 names this one, an English one, an Arabic one and the nickname that sounds nothin like them.

Jan6a: He can also be referred to as Bu-Jassim.

Clueless: WHAT! That doesn't even have the same letters!! Who's Boo Jew! Does that even mean anythin?

Jan6a: Bu means father of and so it'd literally mean father of Jassim.

Clueless: But wait wait, this one he's not married is he? I didn't know he had a baby!!! When did all this happen!

Jan6a: No you dumbass he's not married. Actually I'm the dumbass for bringin it up, ehh its kinda confusing you see most arabic male names have a corresponding name.

Clueless: Ay Maria! Like an alter ego??

Jan6a: Hehe No no not an alter ego. Hmm how do I explain this, like Mhamad would be Bu Jassim and a guy called Jassim would be Bu Mhamad. Matchin names kinda thing, make sense?

(Clueless does some deep thinking)

Clueless: So basically when your parents pick out their sons name they're also picking their grandsons name?

Jan6a: Smart! But hhh not necessarily. Some do it that way but it really doesn't have to be.

Clueless: So lets say Mhamad called his son Alfred.

Jan6a: Thats ridiculous buddy, why would he call his son Alfred? If you're gonna create a hypothetical scenario might as well make it slightly realistic. Let him call his son Abdullah.

Clueless: Okay fine Abdullah! So they'd call him Bu Abdullah and forget Bu Jassim ever existed?

Jan6a: Eeehhh I think you'll still find his old friends and a few people refer to him as Bu Jassim. So his hommies from waay back, gerrit?

Clueless: Jesus Christ! So this poor fella would answer to :
1) Bu Abdullah,
2) Bu Jassim,
3) Mhamad,
4) Mohammed
5) Hamood

Jan6a: There we go, exactly! But its really not as complicated or as frustrating as you make it sound!

Clueless: Ah-ha, I think I get it! Lets do another one!! Does it work with Abdullah as well??

Jan6a: Yeaaahh but how about we do Abdullah another day?


Note: This conversation actually took 172 times longer than the time it took you to read it. Each Arabic name mentioned was written down on a piece of paper and repeated a gazillion times by Clueless.



*Charisma!


21 comments:

Jacqui said...

Well I can't comment on this :P

I actually don't know what to say hehe :r

YoOoNa said...

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!
7araaam kesartay 5a6ry low ana chan re7t il6eb ilnafsy menna ;p

Baroque said...

;) jan6a!

Jan6a said...

samboose: Hehe maskeen i felt bad for him cuz he was so interested. Intay 6afich laman i listed all the nicknames I've been called, maskeen ista'7af :p

jacqui: Hmm okaaay?? hehe Its all good buddy :>

Voluble bnayatna: La maskeen wullaah he's just a curious fella. 9arat li3ba al7en, he'd come up with an arabic name and i'd list all possible nicknames. Elmushkila I don't know all the matchin names, just some miny minaak.

Barooky: U gerrit now?? hehe

adaydreamer: hehe la im quite patient when it comes to things like this. B7dood 6ab3an :p

Sty: 3asa mana7shtik? hehe

Social Paradox said...

That's such an interesting conversation piece! :P and kudos on how you handled it, I would've shut my mouth after explaining the concept of 'hamood'!

Nunu-San said...

LOL!! I dunno bes I felt like *sigh* when I finished reading this post.. I kinda ta3abt =/

Luckybellybuddha said...

2 days ago I asked my friend how to say (how are you) in Turkish & boy it was hard bs it goes to show how switching from one area/culture/mentality to another is hard despite it appearing easy to its native.

falafilsafa aside, me thought of sharing this: I once watched this program about Africa, & the group of people doing the filming suddenly spotted a young man being chased & beaten with sticks by his chasers for no apparent reason.
It turned out that a man from the local tribe (the chasers relative) had left to work in the neighboring one & died while there & so this young man from that tribe had come to tell the deceased's family.
But tradition has it that an elderly chief from that tribe comes & speaks to the chief of the dead man's, so by breaking the rules, the youngster got himself a good beating instead.

Jan6a said...

social paradox: Yeah i know, but his eagerness to know really got to me so i didn't wana be the party pooper u know?

Nunu ya nunu: 3ayal ana shagool?? I swear to God it took forever explaining hehe

Buddha!!Buddy!!: hehe maskeeen! So whats the moral of the story? Stick to the rules or u'll get a good whipping? Hmm how can we adapt that to an everyday scenario: (ill have to think about that one, will come up with somethin when u tell me about the comment) :p

Luckybellybuddha said...

!!J!n!Oo!6!!!aA!h! my dearest friend :-)
I found it somehow relate in the sense of how cultures (possibly including languages?) differ so unusally between a apot & another.
Like what seems so Norm to me (e.g. Kuwaiti driving) might just look dreadful to ..say a Britt?..hehe :-p
laysh it feels like I haven't spoken to you for 2 days?

Luckybellybuddha said...

Oh... & I forgot to Add.... 3ala hal post..Intay proved to be REAL 3AYARAH, bs sweet :-P

Jan6a said...

!!Buddha!!Buddy!!: hehe im not a real 3ayara (shhhh :P)
Ee tara i got the relevance of what u shared, i was just messin with u and tryn to think of a nasty day to day scenario but nothin came to mind (thats a lie) more like nothin i cud share kinda thing

Eee its been a while! Ma3anah it hasn't, bs it haas! Right?

Luckybellybuddha said...

(i was just messin with u and tryn to think of a nasty day to day scenario but nothin came to mind)...As I said,hehehe,So UNLIKE you buds :-*

Rimyoleta said...

Looooooooool..
I don't think I can do that :P

Jan6a said...

buddha buddy!!: u really do speak jan6a don't u ? :P

Samboose: Indeed we are! Without counting my given name I have 8 nicknames!!

laialy: everytime i type ur name i mess up! laialy laialy laialy. The aia is what screws me up.

Reeemolita:7ayallaah ib ahal jeddah! And it wasn't that bad hehe yesterday we covered Abdullah and Ali :p

Bravecat said...

Ha, NOW it makes sense to me!!

Jan6a said...

Cat Woman: hehe glad you get it! :>

Delicately Realistic said...

Hahahahahahaaaa!!!!!
Waaaaay mawateeny min il th7k!
Part 2: Clueless & Star Academy!

Delicately Realistic said...

Oh and we never settled on our names did we?
I didnt like Om Fawaz....I liked Om S3od for you....but china u didn't?
E E E ! Im Om Shaheen sa7?

Jan6a said...

Dr. Dr. No you're Om Ba6eekh. I don't like any of the om things for me. Actually i like Om Jooty :P

Delicately Realistic said...

Ba6eekh!
La maby!
Ana Om Shaheen!
And I LOVE Om Jooty!

Jan6a said...

Om Jooty is hot right? :P