Thursday, March 09, 2006

Table for 2

I realized I have a soft spot for nice waiters !

Sometime last week I went to this local family owned restaurant with very basic furniture, I figured their food would make up for the decor but yeeeah NO!

The table next to mine was occupied by elderly Brits who huffed and puffed at their food. When the waiter asked how everythin was they blurted "the meat is synthetic and the chips taste like plastic!" Since the waiter's English was very limited all he gathered from the rude comment was 'plastic!' The look on his face was heartbreaking maskeen, he just asked if they'd like to order somethin else from the menu, they didn't and so he left clearly upset.

Movin on to my table: My food arrived with all my appetizers here and there and a very disappointing main dish. I tackled the appetizers first. Then decided to have some of my side dishes. Since I have delayed action in basically everythin only after havin 3 spoons of Tzatziki*did I realize that it was FULL of garlic. It was soo bad that I just lost my appetite and decided to play around with my main course (cut and move the pieces so it looks like I've eaten somethin).
*basically thick rob oo khyar

Poor waiter comes along and asks if my food is fine, I reply with "Oh yes marvelous, thank you!" He then goes on and tells me how its his favorite dish and he made sure the cook (who was his brother) was 'generous' and added some extra stuff special for me. (I didn't buy this but gave him A for effort) I just looked at him intriguingly and took another bite with a smile and a let out a very fake "Hmmm!! :>" (<- thats a smiley face btw)

Waiter walks away very pleased with himself. I take two more *tiny* bites and realize that's all I can handle. Just when I thought that'd be the end of it:

Waiter comes back with complimentary dessert- A MILK pie!

I don't even like milk!! So ONCE AGAIN I force myself to bite away with all sound effects possible. He walks away and I let out a big sigh of relief, just a tad too loud.

2 minutes later poor fella comes back yet again with complimentary apple pie!

At this point I just wanna kill myself cuz I'm still feelin the bloody garlic coming out of my nose (Yeah not a pretty fluffy descriptive image but yeah it was that nasty so spare me). So I think to myself, well atleast its somethin I like, you can't go wrong with apple pie can you?

I take a bite and yeaaaaah apparently YOU CAN!

It was filled with spices and this weird cinnamon (I love cinnamon by the way but this shi' was spicy!) and the custard was soggy - uuugghh it was bad bad bad!

Waiter tells me how he noticed I didn't really like the milk pie but he was sure I'd love this. Quite the antithesis of love buddy. But I ate it all. All. All. All.

Every last friggin god forsaken bite.

WHY? So I wouldn't hurt the poor man's feelings. The man I probably will never see again in my life.



So yeah waiters are good people.




*Check plz!



13 comments:

3baid said...

Being nice comes at a cost :/

Jan6a said...

3baid: i paid for it alright, but thing is i were in the same position again i KNOW ill do it exactly the same way.

jashanmal: Next post is for u buddy :> (Ma3ana i think ur comment with be somethin like 'You chose the wrong kind of fagi3/ you prepared it all wrong!) And my reply would be: wellll thats the way I like it :p

Bravecat said...

Where did all this happen??

:^)

Luckybellybuddha said...

3ayara!:
ana ma tha7akt ella 3ala the fact that he kept on coming back to his customers to check if all was well & you'd think h'd have learnt by now that the answer (will) be No.
bs maybe the owner hates him & so keeps on sending him to ask the customers a question related to his intentional misrecipes? :-p

Amoot 3ala rob o khyar eb garlic (+dried mint, zayt zaytoon+crushed green pepper), better still substitute the rob for labna for a denser mix..yum yum

Delicately Realistic said...

Haha!
Maskeeeena! Your so polite arent you?
(9idnach) :P
I know you described the food as really bad, but somehow I feel hungry now. (As usual)

Jan6a said...

Cat Woman: It happened at a restaurant called 2m next to the port- (street where all the clubs were, dont remember the name of the street sorry.

Buddha buddy!: Thats how they have it over there, they replace rob with labnah - bs allaah yihadaah thiba7na bl thoom!! I think im gonna make some bacher minus thoom (bl ikwait i dont think they even put garlic, do they?)

DR. DR.: Ya ba3ad chabdy intay bs gooleely intay mita moo mafjoo3a?? hehe 9akaitay 3lay wullah. Laa uw chan zain tishtiheen ashya' '3air - sushi sushi sushi. Magoola ila allaah yi'7aleech scromboid free hehe

Luckybellybuddha said...

!kuwaiti rose!: i think i know what you mean with the garlic bit buds, usually they add it raw & so its important to watch the quantity. 3ad the trick around it is not that mystical, bs they should fry el thoom bser3a in olive oil so the intense taste goes but you still can have it in a large'sh qty. O you're right, they don't add garlic over here. Bs garlic is good, i think, keeps dracula away :-p hehe

Jan6a said...

!!the one and only buddha buddy!! La dont get me wrong im all for the garlic bs moo THAT strong!

Luckybellybuddha said...

the blushing buddha: bil3afya :-)

Jan6a said...

yi3afeeek yal 6ayib :>

Bravecat said...

Yeah helpful! How about the town name??

:p

Jan6a said...

Cat Buddy: Kerkyra buddy. have u been there?

Bravecat said...

No, but by your description I figured it must have been somewhere there. LOL!!